Avery James Photography

Avery James Photography

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Retouching

I've done posts before about retouching....but this one is a little different.  I've learned a bit more about retouching simply to enhance, not necessarily to correct.

Below are some before and after examples to show what retouching can do in terms of color enhancement, shadow reduction, and increased contrast. 

It can be very subtle to the average eye, or it can be pretty dramatic...depends on the use (i.e. airbrushing for a beauty shot of a woman's face vs a family photo.).

I really want to start pushing my business and photo output level towards a more professional and perfected basis.  I want every photo I release to be beautiful and the best that it can be.

This is going to require retouching as I've described above.  Unfortunately, it takes time.  One photo can take anywhere from 5 minutes to 20 minutes depending on the work that needs to go into it.

Currently I give clients a couple hundred photos on cd with some basic color correction, cropping, and contrast enhancements done on them...but that's it because even that takes me about 3-5 hours to do all of the photos.

Going forward, I'd like to start giving clients less photos...but the photos you do receive will be more enhanced and perfected.  I don't know the exact number yet....something I need to think about still...but I think in the end, clients are going to be happier.  You'll like your photos more, you'll get to choose the photos you want enhanced, and you'll be given higher resolution photos as I can fit more onto a cd.  You'll also have an option to pay an additional cost to receive additional photos above whatever number I come up with.

I'd love to hear your comments if you have an opinion, good or bad, on this.  In the meantime, I'll be rolling out a new process and package soon. :)

Thanks everyone!




1 comment:

Unknown said...

WOW- I know nothing about all of this, so I'm no help... but, your photos are AMAZING!! So so awesome!

And I'm assuming this lil guy is yours... he has to be the cutest lil man ever! Like sign him up for modeling status- he is so so so so so CUTE!