Avery James Photography

Avery James Photography

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Letter art! - $30.00 (limited time price)

I initially started this as a birthday project for my son, Avery (Dec. 28).  As he's no longer here with us on earth to give a present to, we try and do something on his birthday that is focused on him and his memory.  Last year we went to downtown L.A. and walked around taking pictures of things that reminded us of him (trains, cartoon characters, angels, etc.) along with photos of letters to spell out his name....but we took the photos of actual letters vs shapes.  I then made a collage of all the pictures we took that day....it turned out pretty neat....nothing to put in a gallery or anything, but special to us. :)

This year I wanted to do something similar, but wanted something a little more frame-worthy...so we went downtown again, but I decided to take pictures of shapes that looked like letters instead (not an original idea, so I can't take the credit for it for those who haven't seen this type of art before), and then spell out Avery's name.  Unfortunately we got a late start on the day and then lunch took longer than expected...so by the time we started taking the actual pictures it was getting close to dark (I hate that the sun sets so early this time of year!)....so I only had about 30 minutes or so where there was enough daylight to take good pictures.....so we hustled and walked around a few downtown L.A. blocks and below is what we found:



I loooooved the 'V' shot of the water fountain....but since the water was constantly moving, and you can see right through it, the camera wasn't able to focus on anything and so up close it's pretty blurry...but I guess it looks like moving water.....so I still love it.  The 'E' and 'R' shots aren't my favorite, but it's all I could get in the short amount of time we had.  And I was so excited to get the 'A' shot - it was a big sculpture downtown and it just came out perfectly for an 'A'!  :) :)

So anyways...I loved it so much and thought it came out better than I expected it to, so I decided to add this letter art to my product lineup.  I'm working on building my letter library now, but if you'd like to purchase your own name in letter art, it's $30 for a limited time. 

$30.00 includes 5x30 photographic print on e-surface paper with lustre coating
Up to 9 letters
You will be able to view the final image before payment
Price does not include frame and you will likely have to get a custom-sized frame for this print.
Shipping is $5.00 (unless you are in the South Bay (Southern California) area - no shipping charges)

I will be trying to order these in batches from the printing company, so please let me know if you need it by a certain date (birthday, wedding, anniversary, baby shower gifts, etc.) so that I can make sure to order yours in time.

Price is for a limited time while I build my letter library up, so be sure to order yours right away!!  :) :)

Order via email: crystal@averyjamesphotography.com
(will eventually be for sale via Etsy)

3 comments:

Annie (Lady M) x said...

I am doing this ‘Follow Friday 40′ that I saw over at Java's blog and I am now following you! This is such a cool idea isn’t it?! Love your blog by the way - spelling Avery using those photographs looks amazing!

Michelle said...

What a great idea, the pics came out great.

kewkew said...

I love your memorial idea for your son. What a special way to remember a loved one. Your photography is beautiful. We did an alphabet scavenger hunt in the summer, but nothing frame worthy. Some letters were quite tricky to come by in our tiny rural town.
http://totsandme.blogspot.com/2010/08/alphabet-scavenger-hunt.html
Thanks for stopping by my blog and entering my giveaway
blessings